Thursday, April 7, 2011

Meal Snap iPhone App

Meal Snap is an app for your iPhone that helps you track calories by photographing your food.
You snap a picture, upload it, and it returns the approximate number of calories in your meal.
This idea is brilliant. I have spent loads of time in the past attempting to count calories, and when your food doesn't come in boxes with convenient nutrition labels slapped on the side, it can be a very tedious process.
The Lifehacker review says it works pretty well but I would love to hear some personal reviews since I remain skeptical.

Let's say you have a plate of steamed veggies. You snap the photo, send it in, and it comes back with say, 80 calories. Great! Now let's say you have a plate of steamed veggies with melted butter smothered on them. The butter is invisible as far as the camera can tell. I bet it'll still come back at 80 calories. I don't have an iPhone so I can't test this out. Maybe there are options to customize and input details.

It's a great idea, but I have a hard time believing it will be useful as a weight loss tool.

This customer review on the Meal Snap site made me giggle.
To test it out I took a picture of my cat. The result said she was not food... I beg to differ :).

Related nutrition tip: Everyone knows veggies are good for you. Vegetables contain fat soluble vitamins such as A, D, E, and K. This means you need to have some fat with your vegetables in order to make use of these very important nutrients. Add some butter, cheese or bacon....veggies don't sound so boring now, do they?!

No comments:

Post a Comment